Tayla Relph showed just why she's a contender in the Australian Supersport 300 category of the Australian Superbike Championship as the official ASBK test at The Bend Motorsport Park concluded yesterday.
Relph scorched around the new South Australian circuit on her North Star Yamaha YZF-R3 in a laptime of 1:11.9, to be the third fastest in the 300 Supersport category, with fellow Queenslander, Oli Bayliss right behind in fourth.
Setting a time just over 0.4 seconds off the lead, Relph belted most of the boys in a performance which bodes well ahead of the next ASBK round, held at the same circuit in a shade under two weeks.
Relph's star certainly seems to be on the rise, the 21-year-old journalism student having finished fifth in the class at the last round at Wakefield, to elevate herself to eighth place in the championship.
"I can’t wait to fly back to Adelaide in 13 days time," she said, "to do it all over again! It’s going to be very close racing, that’s for sure, but that just makes it even more exciting. Massive thankyou to Tonto from Revolution Racing and Chris from XXX Rated Race Suspension for all of their help. Without them, I definitely wouldn’t have finished in the top 3!"
Official ASBK test, The Bend, South Australia Supersport 300 Top Ten Times:
1. Hunter FORD (South Sydney Commercial, Yamaha YZF-R3) 2:11.506
2. Oliver SIMPSON (Simpson Crash, Yamaha YZF-R3) 2:11.623
3. Tayla RELPH (Yamaha YZF-R3) 2:11.980
4. Oli BAYLISS (Cube Racing, Kawasaki Ninja 300) 2:12.238
5. Ben BAKER (BC Performance Junior Team, Kawasaki Ninja 300) 2:12.566
6. Tom BRAMICH (Yamaha YZF-R3) 2:12.804
7. Harry KHOURI (Excite M-sports, Yamaha YZF-R3) 2:12.999
8. Travis HALL (Yamaha YZF-R3) 2:13.237
9. Mitchell KUHNE (Shark Leathers, Yamaha YZF-R3) 2:13.875
10. Zane FORD (South Sydney Commercial, Yamaha YZF-R3) 2:14.509